When we decided on a date for Rebekah’s surgery a few weeks ago we knew that there was a chance that the date would need to be changed. Rebekah may become sick, and so surgery would need to be delayed, or an emergency could arise and surgery would need to be postponed.
We spent the last few weeks worrying about Rebekah’s health more than ever.
Her tongue is always white from spitting up, but just in case it was thrush, we painted her mouth with a medicine called Gentian Violet. It made her mouth look like she had been sucking on a purple marker.
We’ve been changing her diaper even if it’s dry to make sure we avoid even the thought of diaper rash. We went to the pediatrician three times in six days to check on a variety of random, and thankfully harmless, things. We had just decided that we could start relaxing when the phone rang.
A little boy needed surgery. They needed to bump Bekah to March 6…was that ok?
Well, the truth is, it is ok. We know what it’s like to be on the other end of this kind of situation, to be the parents of the child who can’t wait for whatever it is that comes next.
Will I enjoy the extra day to be nervous about open heart surgery? No.
Will I enjoy the extra day to spend playing with an increasingly curious little girl? Yes.
So, now, we’ll wait an extra day (unless Bekah gets sick, or someone else needs to go into surgery before her). We’ll wait for March 6 just as eagerly as we were waiting for March 5, because really, it’s not so much the day of the year that matters, but that Bekah and her doctors are as ready as possible for surgery.
It reminded me though that unlike some babies who are going in for emergency surgeries, Bekah’s surgery is in essence elective.
Yes, we are taking our daughter in for “elective” open heart surgery, or as elective as open heart surgery can be. Even though it’s going to be hard to wait an extra day (so far), it’s nice to know that Bekah can wait if she needs to…and so can I.
Read the rest of Sarah and Rebekah’s story through her blog, Following Your Heart.