With the holidays quickly approaching, many will be eager to donate gifts and essentials for our patients and families. To help ensure the safety of our patients, Akron Children’s has provided a list of guidelines for individuals to follow.
When purchasing items for our patients, please keep the following things in mind:
- All toys and gifts must be new and unwrapped.
- Handmade blankets and items must be clean and free of pet hair, odor and fragrances. Many of our patients have severe allergies.
- Please, no candy, gum or food.
- All items must be politically and religiously neutral.
- We are happy to accept Mylar balloons. The hospital is a latex free environment.
- Please do not donate small items or toys with sharp edges. Additionally please avoid toys made of glass or brittle plastic, as well as toys that could be considered violent (guns, swords, action figures, etc.)
- Please avoid items with staples, pins, beads, glitter, sand, feathers or plastic bags.
Some of the more popular items for our patients include:
- Lego sets
- Barbie dolls
- Nintendo DS games
- X-Box 360 Kinect games
- Uno cards
- iTunes or other gift cards
- Current DVDs
- Toddler musical/light up toys
- Coloring/activity books
- Crayons and markers
- Craft/art kits
- Stickers and stamps
- Play Doh
- Water paint sets
New clothing can also be donated to the hospital from infant to adult sizes. Items such as underwear, socks, t-shirts and sweatpants are welcome.
Because of privacy laws, donors are not permitted to deliver gifts directly to our patients.
Gifts may be delivered to the Akron Children’s Volunteer department:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
A full list of all items, including wish lists by age group, can be found here. For more information, please call 330-543-8424.