Hospital leadership and community members stepped up to raise $82,000 for Akron Children’s Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders during Dancing for the Kids, which took place on Oct. 25 at the Akron Civic Theatre.
Dancing for the Kids is hosted by the Emerging Leaders of Akron Children’s Hospital, an advisory board dedicated to raising funds and awareness for the hospital. The event featured nine local personalities and their dance partners from The University of Akron.
At the conclusion of the event, two awards were presented. This year’s overall winner was Megan Merril, a cancer survivor and state gymnastics champion. Jeffrey Hord, MD, director of hematology-oncology at Akron Children’s, received the top fundraising award for raising $7,722 through donations from his supporters.
The top five fundraisers were:
- Jeffrey Hord, MD, director of the Showers Family Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Sherry Neubert, vice president of global project management at The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
- John Zoilo, executive director of Akron Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Megan Merril, cancer survivor and state gymnastics champion
- Tommy Bruno, general manager of The Summit, WAPS 91.3 FM Akron/Canton and WKTL 90.7 FM Youngstown/Warren
“The Emerging Leaders are very excited and proud to have raised so much money through this fun event,” said Sara Lundenberger, special events coordinator for Akron Children’s Hospital Foundation and member of Emerging Leaders. “We cannot wait to see what happens next year.”
View a gallery of the dancer’s performances.