A year and a half ago when we first met with Dr. Ravi Karnani to discuss Sam’s growing list of allergies Dr. Karnani told my husband, Chris, and I that if we were ever in doubt about a reaction, not to wait, just use Sam’s EpiPen and get him to the nearest ER. Knowing that […]
For some kids, a single bee sting, or one bite of a peanut-butter sandwich or crab cake can lead to a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction. Anaphylaxis can occur within minutes or seconds after exposure to an allergen and requires immediate treatment to save a child’s life. “The threshold for causing a problem can be […]
Quick action is key during a serious allergic reaction. That’s why, kind of like a fire drill, it’s smart to occasionally review the instructions your doctor gave you and run through the steps you would take in an emergency. And, there’s no better time than now to brush up on your skills. “Allergy emergencies can […]
I’m happy to hear schools are taking the initiative after the Ohio House Bill 296 passed last year. The bill calls for schools to stock EpiPens and allows trainers, coaches and other sideline personnel to administer it on somebody who wasn’t actually prescribed epinephrine.
Not only is it saving lives with greater access to the injectors, but also more people are being trained on how to administer the medication.
For some children and adults, a single insect sting can lead to a life-threatening allergic reaction. In this video, Dr. Nancy Wasserbauer, an allergy and immunology specialist at Akron Children’s Hospital, discusses how to prepare for these emergency situations, as well as how to treat milder symptoms.