By using whole-wheat crust, part-skim cheese, turkey pepperoni, and mixed vegetables, this pizza offers kids more of the nutrients they need, with less fat and fewer calories.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 ready-to-bake whole-wheat pizza crust (10 inches in diameter)
- ½ c. pizza sauce
- 1 c. shredded part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- ½ c. (17 slices) turkey pepperoni
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 (2 slices) medium pizza (typical delivery-style pizza with pepperoni and thin crust)
- Preheat oven to 400° F (204° C).
- Spread pizza sauce on crust.
- Spread cheese on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle sliced mushrooms and pepperoni on top of the cheese.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges.
Serving size: 2 slices
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Use some of your favorite veggies for toppings instead of pepperoni and mushrooms. Peppers, broccoli, spinach, or fresh tomatoes are good options.
(c) 2016. Article adapted from The Nemours Foundation/KidsHealth(R). Used under license.