It’s hard to believe, but your baby is turning 10 this year. So, you’ve planned a big celebration to mark the occasion and milestone. Invites have been sent, the cake ordered and the menu set. Now, all that’s left to do is wrap her special gift. Right? Wrong.
It’s time to schedule her annual well visit, too. Studies show the proportion of children receiving well visits declines with age. However, yearly wellness checkups are an important way for parents and providers to keep kids healthy — physically, mentally and socially — from birth through age 21.
During a well visit, your child’s pediatrician will offer her preventative care by assessing and monitoring her physical, behavioral, developmental and emotional well being as she grows. It’s a critical opportunity to detect possible developmental delays, and early detection and treatment can lessen the future impact on your child and family.
In addition, the pediatrician will keep her up to date on immunizations to prevent disease.
Well visits also are a key time for parents to ask questions and address concerns, such as sleep or nutritional issues. Parents can make the most of these visits by jotting down important questions to take with them at each visit.
Lastly, well visits allow the pediatrician to assess your child’s body mass index (BMI) to ensure she is in a healthy percentile range for her height and weight.
So, don’t forget to schedule a wellness checkup for your child once a year — every year.
MyChart makes it easy with direct scheduling. It’s available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for families’ convenience, so you don’t have to wait for open office hours. MyChart is available from any computer with Internet access, or your smartphone if you have the MyChart app, and is completely secure.
Parents can log into MyChart to schedule or confirm appointments, and they will also receive automatic reminders for them.
Get started: How to direct schedule wellness checkups
- Log in to mychart.akronchildrens.org. Then, click on the patient’s name for which you’re scheduling an appointment.
- Select the “Schedule an Appointment” icon. Then, select the reason for your visit and hit “continue.”
- Choose the physician you’d like to schedule the appointment with and click “continue.”
- Review the pre-visit summary and hit “continue.”
- Select the preferred appointment and hit “continue.”
- Search for your preferred dates and times and click “continue.”
- Preview your appointment details, enter appointment comments if necessary and click “Make Appointment” to confirm your appointment.
For questions about direct scheduling or MyChart in general, call 330-543-4400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.