Our staff and patients alike celebrated special days in our “In the Moment” posts from February. We invite you to take a glance at those you may have missed, or a second peek at those you’ve already enjoyed.
2. A fun birthday party turned into a nightmare for Ja’Vien Bailey’s family on Sunday when he was seen unresponsive in the bottom of a hotel swimming pool. But, a pair of strangers was in the right place at the right time to save the 5-year-old’s life.
3. At just 2 years old, Deegan was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia (AML), a rare and aggressive blood cancer. A bone marrow transplant was necessary to extend his young life. The donor search was widened when his family members were not a match. This story was featured on World Cancer Day.
5. We are thrilled about the breakthrough medicine that is giving siblings Olivia and Caleb a brighter future with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). They share the rare, devastating genetic disorder that is “like waking up with 1/6 or 1/8 of your muscle strength,” says mom, Julie.
8. Local ice skater Sadie Woodruff is just as inspiring as the Winter Olympics athletes on the ice. Both of her feet were burned by hot oil, but that didn’t stop her from continuing an #iceskating career. She shares how she and her mom, Jennifer, have achieved so much since the tragic accident last year.
9. Addyson was in serious trouble from the moment she was born. For 14 months, she was barely able to swallow or use her muscles. We celebrated the diagnosis and treatment of her rare genetic disorder – congenital myasthenic syndrome – on Rare Disease Day.