On March 20, close to 20 community members came to Akron Children’s Hospital for an exclusive, behind-the-scenes look at the rewards and challenges of working in a pediatric hospital.
Each participant spent the morning shadowing a doctor from a variety of service areas throughout the hospital, including surgery, emergency, hematology-oncology, sports medicine and the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), to see what a morning at Akron Children’s looks like from a doctor’s perspective.
“We were so excited to provide this opportunity for our community leaders, it’s so important and valuable for our physicians to engage with community leaders this way,” said Dr. Norm Christopher, chairman of Akron Children’s Department of Pediatrics.
After their shadowing experiences, the group of Children’s Up Close participants and their physician partners came together for lunch and a discussion about their morning.
Participants said that they were impressed with multiple aspects of the hospital’s workings that aren’t immediately apparent to an outsider, including the amount of collaboration between departments and the amount of technology available throughout the hospital.
“I didn’t realize the cost and expense of running a hospital,” said Barry Hollis, senior portfolio manager at PNC Institutional Investments. “It was evident with all of the technology and equipment I saw everywhere.”
Participants also commended the departments they observed, saying that the level of attention the medical staff provided to families was exceptional.
“Being in the NICU was remarkable,” said Bill Manby Jr., founder and managing partner of Acquire Investments –Akron and senior vice president of TriPoint Global Equities – New York City. “It was amazing how the whole team becomes part of the family, that team is just remarkable.”
“The event exceeded my expectations,” said Mike Ayers, foundation grants manager at the Sisler McFawn Foundation.
The community leaders who participated in the 2018 Children’s Up Close event included:
- Mike Ayers, Foundation Grants Manager, Sisler McFawn Foundation
- Jessica Benson, Volunteer, Akron Children’s Hospital
- Caroline Cox, Director of Marketing and Communications, Northwestern Mutual – Akron Office
- Tamara Cross, Senior Product Manager, GOJO Industries
- Erika Cybulskis, Government and Corporate Citizenship Representative, Delta Dental of Ohio
- Diane Gilger, Senior Relationship Manager and Eastern Ohio Healthcare Segment Leader, KeyBank
- Kelly Glover, Business Development Manager, Sikich LLP
- Dan Gut, Lead Advisor, Adams, Gut & Associates at Northwestern Mutual
- Jessica Holbrook, Staff Reporter, Canton Repository
- Barry Hollis, Senior Portfolio Manager, PNC Institutional Investments
- Betty Lin-Fisher, Consumer Columnist and Medical Reporter, Akron Beacon Journal
- Bill Manby Jr., Founder and Managing Partner, Acquire Investments –Akron, Senior Vice President, TriPoint Global Equities – New York City
- Julie Merklin, Consultant, Mary Kay
- Eveline Nordhauss, Owner and President, MB Kit Systems Inc.
- Jeff Rovnak, Executive Vice President, Private Client Services, Sequoia Financial Group
- Jeff Satterfield, Chief Executive Officer, Qylex IT
- Dan Spring, President and Owner, NAI Spring Realty
If you are interested in participating in the 2019 Children’s Up Close event, please contact the Foundation office at 330-543-8340.