If you know a child who is coping with grief related to the death of a parent, grandparent, sibling or other close family member, we would like to share some of the summer grief camps for children available in our area.
At a grief camp, children participate in a variety of activities that can be helpful to work through the emotions of grief.
It’s also often helpful to be in a group setting with other children experiencing grief, which makes kids feel like they’re not alone in what they’re feeling.
Here’s a list of 2018 children’s grief camps in northeast and central Ohio.
Community Hospice Grief Camps (Stark County)
Community Hospice will schedule an appointment with the counselor either in person or by phone before the camp, to better get an idea of your child’s needs. Both camps are at Camp Wanake in Beach City, OH. To register for either camp, call 800-947-7284 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Horse Camp (ages 7-17): June 8, half day
- You’re Not Alone Youth Camp (ages 7-17): July 9-12, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (later the last night, until around 8 p.m., parents/family can come early to participate in the closing ceremony)
Hospice of the Western Reserve—Together We Can Grief Camps
For more information about these 4 camps, visit www.hospicewr.org/grief-camps or call 216-486-6838.
- Common Ground One-Day Camp (ages 8-14): July 14, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., 14240 Baird Rd, Oberlin, OH (Lorain County)
- Common Ground Three-Day Camp (ages 6-13): Aug. 7-9, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Red Oak Camp, Kirtland, OH (Lake County)
- Common Ground Five-Day Camp, Riding through Grief (ages 8-12): June 18-22, 9 a.m.-12 p.m., Fieldstone Farm Therapeutic Riding Center, 16497 Snyder Rd, Chagrin Falls, OH (Cuyahoga County)
- At the Beach (Family Event): July 28, 3-5 p.m., Mentor Headlands, Mentor, OH (Lake County)
Cornerstone of Hope Summer Bereavement Camps
Register online for any of these 4 camps at www.cornerstoneofhope.org.
- Camp Cornerstone (ages 6-12): June 11-15, day camp, Independence, OH (Cuyahoga County)
- Camp Memory (ages 6-13): June 19-21, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Columbus, OH (Franklin County)
- Camp Heroes (ages 8-17): July 9-13, day camp, Cleveland, OH (Cuyahoga County)
- Camp Erin (ages 8-17): Aug. 3-5, overnight camp, Marengo, OH (Morrow County)
- Good Grief Camp (ages 8-15): July 22-27, Camp Frederick, 6996 Millrock Rd, Rogers, OH (Columbiana County).Contact the camp office for an application at 330-227-3633, or contact Jane Peachey, Grief Camp Coordinator at email@example.com with questions.
- Camp Lionheart (ages 7-17): July 22-July 28, overnight camp, Camp Otyokwa, Hocking Hills, OH (Hocking County). Free to children in Ohio. For more information call Kristen Santel at 614-506-7959 or visit www.camplionheart.org.