As reported by Fox 8, Akron Children’s Hospital dietitian Danielle Dimengo loves finding festive recipes that get kids excited about eating healthy. Danielle brought some of her favorite patriotic themed recipes to the Fox 8 studio and showed Stefani Schaefer how easy they are to put together. See them in a video below the recipes.
Cashew Date Stuffed Strawberries
1 pint of fresh strawberries, washed and dried
1 pint of fresh blueberries, washed and dried
1 cup cashew date cream (recipe follows)
- Cut a thin slice from bottom of strawberries so they stand upright. Remove tops of strawberries with a paring knife and gently scoop out some of the inside of the strawberries. Another option is to not cut off the top off the strawberries, but cut the strawberries from the top into wedges, like a + sign ( but not all the way through).
- Use a pastry bag with a decorative tip, or fill a zip lock bag with one corner cut off with cashew date cream.
- Fill the strawberries with the cream and top with a blueberry. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve immediately on a pretty platter (strawberries will get mushy if you make too far ahead of time).
CASHEW DATE CREAM
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in cold water for 4 hours
1 cup pitted dates, preferably Medjool, soaked in cold water for 4 hours
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1-2 pinches ground cinnamon, to taste
Non-dairy unsweetened vanilla milk, for thinning
- Soak cashews and dates separately in cold water for 4 hours.
- Drain cashew and dates. Add dates, cashews, vanilla and cinnamon to high-powered blender or food processor fitted with S-shaped blade.
- Puree until creamy and smooth adding a tiny bit of non-dairy milk if too thick.
- Chill in Refrigerator minimum 1 hour or until ready to use.
Sweet Stars and Stripes Skewers
Patriotic Yogurt Parfaits
Homemade Patriotic Popsicles
Separately, puree blueberries and raspberries in a food processor. Using plastic popsicle molds, place a small amount of the blue puree into a few of the molds and then place a small amount of the red raspberry puree in the remaining molds. Freeze for about an hour. Add a few spoonfuls of vanilla Greek yogurt to the molds. Freeze again for about an hour. Top the frozen yogurt with more berry puree in the opposite color – so use blueberry for the molds that began with raspberry puree and vice versa. Freeze for another hour. Remove from the molds and enjoy.