In an effort to continually add services to assist families in managing their children’s health, Akron Children’s Hospital has launched a mobile application that puts its new and existing services into one convenient location.
Now, managing your children’s health has never been easier. Akron Children’s Anywhere, which is available for both Android and Apple devices, is free and puts a variety of health-care tools in the palm of your hand.
Akron Children’s Anywhere supports a family’s health-care choices and decision making by offering:
- Find a Doc: search our directory to find the right care for your child
- Locations: gain quick access across Akron Children’s 2 hospital campuses and 60+ primary, specialty and urgent care locations with hours and contact information
- First Aid: for quick reference when time is precious
- Meds: for dosage information and maintaining a list of your child’s medications
- Contact Us: for useful phone numbers for common Akron Children’s services
- Giving: make a difference to the thousands of children we treat with your online donation
“In the U.S. today, a person averages 5 hours a day on their phone, and 90% of that time is spent in apps,” said Harun Rashid, Akron Children’s chief information officer. “Connecting with our patient families via an app is no longer a luxury, but an expectation. Through Akron Children’s Anywhere, we are helping families determine the appropriate level of care for their child’s illness or injury and then pointing them to the appropriate Akron Children’s service.”
Rashid offers an example of the app’s convenience and usefulness. Say your child develops a new symptom, injury or behavior. You can immediately go to the app for help and tap:
- Symptoms: to find out what they could mean and what you should do
- Parent Advice: for answers to questions about behaviors, eating or wellness
- Emergency: for quick connections to the Poison Control Center, 9-1-1 and Emergency Rooms
In addition, this new app gives users quick, secure access to MyChart and all its features, including messaging your doctor, requesting prescription renewals, direct scheduling and obtaining test results.
Users also can access Bill Pay directly from the app.
What’s more, in the near future this app will feature another avenue for families to access health care by incorporating telehealth virtual visits with Akron Children’s clinicians.
“What makes this app unique is it can be used by anyone in the community, whether their child is a patient of Akron Children’s or not, to help families achieve health success,” said Beth Smith, Akron Children’s vice president of marketing and public relations. “Similarly for current patients, this new app represents Akron Children’s between patient visits and provides families useful tools 24/7 to reduce the stress of managing their children’s health.”