When Angela Terry’s son, Kurtis, recently came down with a fever, it was nearing dinnertime. He felt warm to the touch and her usually active 3 year old didn’t want to play. Instead, he was sad and just wanted to lie down on the couch.
His pediatrician’s office, Akron Children’s Hospital Pediatrics, Barberton, was about to close and Angela was rushing to get dinner on the table for her “hangry” family. She was torn. Should she drop everything and get Kurtis in to see the doctor before the office closed, or wait it out a day or so to see if he felt better?
“I thought just lay low, and it’ll probably go away tomorrow. He was still eating and drinking normally,” said the Kenmore-based mom. “I didn’t want to be that mom that rushes to the doctor for every little thing, but I also wanted to make sure it wasn’t something more serious.”
Angela had heard about Akron Children’s Anywhere app on the radio, so she decided no time like the present to check it out and download it.
Once in the app, she clicked on Symptoms to get information and advice about Kurtis’ fever. She punched in “fever” in the search box and it returned a bulleted list of possible symptoms. Because they matched Kurtis’ symptoms, she then selected “Yes, find out what to do.”
The next screen asked her to select the first symptom in the list that applies. The symptoms were listed in descending order from most severe to mild. Toward the bottom of the list, she selected, “Fever with no other symptoms and your child acts mildly ill.”
The next screen answered her question: “self care at home,” with no need to see a doctor. It also gave her care advice and what she needed to know about a fever.
“It saved me so much time and was so convenient,” said Angela. “It was very helpful, 100%. Every single question I could think of to ask the nurse was already on the app. So, I didn’t need the nurse; I just needed the app. And, because it was Akron Children’s, I trusted the information wholeheartedly.”
Since the recent fever incident with her son, Angela has used the Advice section of the app for help with potty training Kurtis, as well as how to handle her 7-year-old daughter’s attitude. Angela has also used the First Aid advice on the app.
“I’m completely in love with this app; there’s so much information in there,” she said. “Thanks Akron Children’s for the trusted advice! This app is everything!”
In addition to the Symptom navigator, the app supports a family’s health-care choices and decision making by offering:
- Parent Advice: for answers to questions about behaviors, eating or wellness
- Emergency: for quick connections to the Poison Control Center, 9-1-1 and Emergency Rooms
- Find a Doc: search our directory to find the right care for your child
- Locations: gain quick access across Akron Children’s 2 hospital campuses and 60+ primary, specialty and urgent care locations with hours and contact information
- First Aid: for quick reference when time is precious
- Meds: for dosage information and maintaining a list of your child’s medications
- Contact Us: for useful phone numbers for common Akron Children’s services
- Giving: make a difference to the thousands of children we treat with your online donation
What’s more, in the near future this app will feature another avenue for families to access health care by incorporating telehealth virtual visits with Akron Children’s clinicians. Read more about the app.