1. With all his might and determination, Bryce Swartz walked to the mound in the Akron RubberDucks stadium and threw the 1st pitch with Turranna Rice, his therapist!
2. Just a day after brain surgery to remove a tennis-ball-sized tumor, 18-year-old Molly Oldham sang along with a volunteer harpist who appeared in her doorway!
3. For National Breastfeeding Mont
h, we visited our NICUs to see how moms and babies work around the breastfeeding roadblocks they faced.
4. Aultman Hospital in Canton is the new home of one of Akron Children’s Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU) and Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) practices!
6. Kids love summer camps especially our burn survivors who have wild and crazy fun at Aluminum Cans for Burned Children (ACBC) camp alongside our burn unit staff and firefighters from 20+ regional departments.
7. What a difference! Hallie is returning to school Thursday after fighting leukemia for the past year. Good luck on your school year, Hallie!
9. We will miss Dr. Michael Spector’s calm demeanor and good-natured humor in our Heart Center. He retires after a 41-year career as a heart surgeon, the last 18 spent at Akron Children’s.
10. Akron Children’s had a booth at the Akron Pride Festival where we provided reliable health information for young people and their families, as well as shared information on employment opportunities at the hospital.