Akron Children’s believes patient families are an integral part of the care team. That’s why we’re expanding access to clinical notes in MyChart as an extension of the recent 21st Century CURES Act legislation. It’s another way to help ensure you and your healthcare team are on the same page to deliver the best care possible to your child.
Beginning in April, you will see medical notes written by any caregiver on your child’s treatment team, including physicians, nurses and therapists.
In addition, you will see missed appointments to better help you keep track of your child’s schedule of care. If you have a teenager (12 years and older), you also will begin seeing medications prescribed and can request refills. (However, you will not be able to see your teen’s medical notes due to complex teen privacy laws.)
The purpose of the CURES Act is to improve transparency and access to information patients need to make informed healthcare decisions. Last November, patient families began to see clinical notes from their child’s providers in MyChart. Lab and radiology test results and pathology reports also were released to MyChart sooner.
Expanding access to this information will help you better understand your child’s health and medical conditions so you can feel more in control of their care. You will be an active, stronger participant in your child’s care with the ability to:
- Revisit and remember the details of your child’s visits
- Remind yourself how and when to give your child’s medications
- Gain insight into the clinician’s thinking
- Prevent harm by catching possible mistakes
- Review next steps
- Share notes with other family members or caregivers
Studies show that most patients remember less than half of what they discuss with a provider during a visit. To make sure you don’t miss important information, sharing notes gives you the opportunity to review the details of your visit at any time.
How to view your child’s medical notes:
- Log in to mychart.akronchildrens.org. Select a patient.
- Click on “Visits” in the main menu across the top of your screen.
- Choose the past visit in which you’d like to review notes. For that office visit, click on “View Notes.”
If you have any questions or concerns about the visit notes, you can contact your provider using MyChart Messaging or calling the office.