Blazing running speed, powerful muscles and quick maneuvering are all signs of a strong athlete. But, behind all that speed, power and agility is more than just practice, exercise and strength training. Good nutrition is essential in order to enhance athletic performance both on and off the field. For kids, it’s even more critical because […]
After suffering a career-ending injury as a collegiate athlete her senior year, Dr. Allyson Weldon’s career choice took a left turn. Seated on the sidelines, she felt robbed of her final soccer season and as if she’d lost a part of her identity. From education to sports-based psychology, Dr. Weldon switched her focus to help […]
Many area youth athletes are working hard right now to be the best baseball players possible and there’s a lot at stake for these youngsters. Baseball is a very competitive sport and with college and pro careers on the line, many of these kids are looking for that edge in the weight room. But even […]
My Neurological Disorders and Diseases class at Thiel College, located in Greenville, PA, recently visited Akron Children’s Sports Medicine Center to learn about concussions. The information I learned made me rethink back to my days as an athlete and of the possible concussions that went misdiagnosed.
Overuse injuries are a big part of sports medicine. In fact, 70 percent of the injuries we treat in our office are overuse or overload injuries, with the other 30 percent being trauma injuries.
When the mercury hovers around zero, it’s best to take your exercise routine indoors. The amount of time until frostbite sets in is very short due to these cold temperatures and blistering windchills.
Frostbite starts out with numbness in the body’s extremities and can lead to discoloration due to decreased blood flow to those areas.